Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:04:23 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cron leaving a zombie

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Danny Pansters wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

> On Thursday 26 September 2002 11:30, Paul Everlund wrote:
> > case "$1" in
> >     start)
> >         echo -n ' adac'
> >         /usr/local/sbin/adac 4444 > /dev/null &
> 				    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> [SNIP]
>
> >     restart)
> >         /bin/kill `/bin/cat /var/run/adac.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null
> >         /bin/rm -f /var/run/adac.pid
> >         sleep 5
> >         /usr/local/sbin/adac 4444 & > /dev/null
> 				    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > Then I did put this in roots crontab:
> > 10 0 * * * /usr/local/etc/rc.d/adac.sh restart
>
> <sidenote>
> Hmmm. IMHO an rc restart script shouldn't be cron'd like this. Or don't call
> it a daemon. But hey, it's your box :)
> </sidenote>

Yup! :-) It's something like a "daemon", but it stops after it has
received 2048 images, and that's why I want to restart it every 24th hour.
Before it hits the limit though, it acts just like a daemon.

> > The adac-daemon is restarted, but everytime the job runs it leaves a
> > sh-zombie from the cron-job. By killing the cron-job, the sh-zombie
> > disappears (as it should).
> >
> > Do anyone know why this is happening?
>
> I think I do. It's not cron, it's your rc script. See ^^^^^^ above.

I know it's my script, and not cron. :-)

> The sh is waiting because you tell it to redirect stdout from a background
> process it had to spawn to /dev/null (in the restart case). Then the child
> gets killed, turning the sh process into a zombie. Hard to test without the
> actual adac script/program though.

Removing redirections to /dev/null did not help. It still leaves a zombie.

> HTH,
>
> Dan

Best regards,
Paul