Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 99 20:32:31 -0500
From:      Kent Hauser <kent@tfd.com>
To:        sean@stat.Duke.EDU
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing with the zp0 driver

>On 1999 Feb 19, Kent Hauser (aka kent@tfd.com) wrote:
>>
>> I'm having real troubles installing from the boot floppy with
>> the zp0 driver (and my '589C pcmcia card). Hangs after about
>> a half-a-dozen hunks. I'm trying to install via NFS from a
>> SunOS 4.1.4 host (over 10baseT if that matters).
>>
>> Suggestions? workarounds?
>
>Does installation via ftp work?   The only other thing is _maybe_
>a duplex mismatch, but I doubt that...if you are using a switch,
>maybe the port is set at full-duplex, but the card only does half.
>A duplex mismatch will slow nfs to a crawl.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Hi sean,

Thanks for the response. It doesn't work over ftp (to a local
server or *.freebsd.org). It will login, read a couple of hunks
& hang.

My local net is simple -- everything is 10baseT or 10base2 & a
single 10 port hub (circa 1991). Nothing to misconfigure.

I seem to remember problems with the zp0 driver in FreeBSD 2.1
or so. I seem to remember that I had to run:

% while (1)
> ifconfig zp0 <local ip address>
> sleep 30
> end

on one of the vty shells to keep the zp0 interface from hanging.

I have always upgraded using the pccard driver (ed0?) since -- until
my disk crashed. Now I'm stuck.

Any other suggestions? (Maybe option flags on the network config
page?). Thanks.

Kent