Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:43:36 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maximum value for possible group memberships

Hi,
I'm in dire need to have one user belong in much more than 16 users.
So I tried upping NGROUP_MAX to 2048 (which is well above what I need,
512 would be about right I suppose) but the system would crash
somewhere at about the point it should switch from single user to
multi user (of course I did make world and recompile the kernel).
Switching back to the old kernel with the new world let it boot like
normal.

So my question, how high can I set that value? Or do I need to change
some other values to go to a high number? I don't care if I waste some
memory, security is much more important than that. And RAM is cheap these
days.

I'd appreciate any pointers on this.

Regards,
Gabriel