Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:52:17 -0800
From:      Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.net>
To:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
Cc:        'freebsd' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: question/register

There are other options, some already noted in other messages.

DNS resolves a name to an IP number; you do not need a domain name to
run a Web server as long as you don't require a "dot-com" (or org or
whatever) word/name and will settle for the IP number.

Yet another alternative arrives if you are good friends with someone who
does own a domain name and is willing to have you added to their DNS
record as a node.  (Example -- if you know who maintains
'www.greatsite.com' you could be found as 'walter.greatsite.com'...)

Finally, I don't know of any cablemodem provider which will permit a
commercial Web site on a "consumer" connection. Most will, however,
provide a "business connection" -- for more money of course -- on which
you can run your own servers, eg. cox@work.

craig

--
 ... mind like a steel trap: things wander in and get mangled ...