Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 18:54:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   lists of files and directories missing from PLIST

Hi,

In the past few days I've been working on getting the package
building script smarter so it can recognize files that are left over
after the port is deleted (mostly files missing from PLIST).  It's
still rather rough but I've gotten something I'd like you to take a
look at.  Here is a summary:

  http://bento.FreeBSD.org/errorlogs/5-latest-logs/extras.html

Right now only the 5-latest branch has a full listing (because the
script was not ready before).

Note that the check works by pkg_delete'ing all the ports in
/var/db/pkg and then comparing ${PREFIX} with mtree.  Thus, if there
is a directory left by a package depended upon by a whole bunch of
others, it will show up many times in the listing.  So please don't
worry for things like share/doc/jpeg and share/locale for the time
being, I'm fixing those at the root (graphics/jpeg, devel/gettext,
etc.).

At some point in the future, I would like to make failure of this test
fatal, i.e., the package build will fail if a port installs a file it
doesn't say it does, or leaves an extra directory behind.  There are
cases where files *are* supposed to be left behind (like info/dir), so
we probably need an extra directive to speficy that.

Satoshi