Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:47:13 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        csnyder <chsnyder@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: limiting ssh login attempts by ip

csnyder wrote:

>I've noticed a marked increase in dictionary attacks against sshd
>lately -- tens or even hundreds of connection attempts from the same
>IP address within a short timespan.
>
>I wrote a script that creates firewall rules to drop packets from IPs
>with more than n login failures over the last 10 minutes, but it's a
>half-measure -- in the minute it takes for cron to get to it, an
>attacking script can try a lot of different passwords, even with
>MaxStartups set low.
>
>How do you protect your servers from this kind of attack? Especially
>on where you can't enforce a strict password policy or make everyone
>use keys?

I have mentioned before that I use tcpwrappers
(somewhat against the comment in /etc/hosts.allow)
to only allow sshd to accept connections from
known IP addresses on all my servers save
one.

If for some reason I'm on a "foreign" network
and need to get in, I have to go through the
open box to get to the others.  (I can see that
this might not work so well if you have dozens
of people who need sshd access....)

But, like Lowell says, this doesn't seem to be
the most effective attack, as it generally is
trying a few combinations for "admin", a few
for "root", etc., and then moving on ... I'm
not sure how much effort you need to expend
on it; although if you're running a lot of shell
services to the outside, I can feel some of your
pain....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.