Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:35:08 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        billt <billt@what.ifelse.org>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Roadrunner, dhcp, FB 4.2-current

billt writes:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM wrote:
>
> > Hi Bill, one thing you should do is power off your cable modem when
> > switching it from your Mac to your FBSD box.  You'll confuse the
> > modem with different MAC addresses.  I too am a RR subscriber
> > (carolina.rr.com) and I have had 0 problems.  I find 15 minutes to be
> > long enough.
>
> left the modem off overnight, but no luck :(
>
> tried this under linux 2.4.0 using dhclient, pump, and dhcpcd - but same
> results as on freebsd. could it be hardware?

Works with the Mac, but not with FreeBSD or anything else on the PC? My
ISP cable company will not issue an IP address via DHCP to any but the
recorded MAC (not Macintosh) address. They have to be called and told
what it is, then 15 to 60 minutes later it works.

I forget exactly how to determine the MAC address of a Mac (something
like "hold the Option key while opening the TCP Control Panel") but if
you can find it then "ifconfig dc0 lladdr 1:2:3:4:5:6" (use the real
address) will have your FreeBSD system using the same. Cable company
should be none the wiser. When you do "ifconfig" by itself you'll see
the above addres replace the one currently on the "ether" line.

Had to do this recently when my NIC (and cable modem and computer) was
nuked by lightning. When I got everything back together and running the
ISP support line was closed for the night. "lladdr" got me up and
running.

A problem a friend had and never quite figured out was the same machine
when rebooted in Windows always was issued a new IP address. And another
new one when it returned to FreeBSD. Yet on a different cable company
which issued 2 week leases Windows always had one IP address and FreeBSD
another. Same NIC.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net