Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:29:31 -0500
From:      "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Referendum on the recent Mozilla changes

> My question is this: would it be better to leave things the way they
> are, have www/mozilla track the quarterly stable releases, and have
> www/mozilla-devel track the _latest_ release (e.g. 1.1)?  Or, would it
> be better to do things like the way gcc does it?  For example, create a
> www/mozilla10, www/mozilla11, etc.?

We are trying to move away from the version number in the ports
unless its something like X where the major version changes once
every few years.  Atleast that's what I heard last.  Maybe there
needs to be something about this put into the porters handbook so we
don't have any confusion about this in the future.

> I feel that the -devel model _can_ track the upcoming Mozilla releases,
> while giving users a choice as to which version to run.  However, since
> I didn't ask before, I thought I'd solicit some feedback before the 4.7
> ports freeze.

I don't see the problem with -devel and I didn't know there were any
issues with it.  Maybe calling it -current for those who get confused
by -devel might be better, but I don't have a problem with what you
did.

--
David W. Chapman Jr.
dwcjr@inethouston.net	Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>