Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:06:15 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        PoushkovaG <niiaria@4unet.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security & use

PoushkovaG wrote:

>     I have Free BSD 3.4 release, is this release relable for use as post
> server & internet gateway,
> is 'sendmail' & 'named' from it, good choice, why 'named' have options for
> change UID & GID,
> is above problem only computer with multi user, so on computer is only I
> most of problem security is unmeaning.

Well, it's reliable enough allright. But there are some security
leaks in it. You should really start patching it up in places, like,
say, BIND and stuff.

BIND or named has a nice option to have it run in a sandbox, i.e.
run it chroot'ed as bind:bind. Works fine, just make sure you've put
the PID file in a readable place. It helps frustrate crackers ;).

Roelof