Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 18:57:27 -0500
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail and mail hub

I'm using a dialup PPP connection and dynamic IP address for my FreeBSD
system. Have been running sendmail "stock" with the /etc/sendmail.cf for
quite a while now with moderate success. Sendmail makes direct connections
with remote sites and delivers the mail.

Finally many sites are clamping down their sendmails to ward off spam. This
bites me as my machine thinks its 10.1.0.1 and ID's as such. And with an
unresolvable address like that many sites refuse mail from me. However at
this moment I'm also tnt1-47.HiWAAY.net. If sendmail knew to use that net
name then I think my problem will be solved.

The other option is to forward all outgoing mail to my ISP at
mail.hiwaay.net and let them handle delivery. Studying the bat book,
http://www.sendmail.org, the docs in /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail, FreeBSD
FAQ and handbook, etc., my head is spinning.

So I've started hacking on /etc/sendmail.cf just to see what kind of
trouble I can get into (I'm the only user of this system, so I can only
hurt myself, right?). This looked interesting in /etc/sendmail.cf:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

So I changed it to:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
#DS
DSmail.hiwaay.net

Elsewhere I did the same thing for:

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DMmail.hiwaay.net

And now it appears to do exactly what I wanted. Fly.hiwaay.net (a.k.a.
mail.hiwaay.net) relays my outgoing mail. It appears to leave local mail
alone. But the modem flashes on send, apparently a DNS lookup (which will
fail for nexgen.hiwaay.net).

So that's the background. The Real Question(s) are:

1) Is "Smart" relay host the Right Way to handle my problem? Have I done
something that will bite me later?

2) How should I name my FreeBSD box which is not a full time system in the
hiwaay.net domain?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net