Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 14:06:52 +0800
From:      Feisal Umar <afu@webcraft99.com>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re-Booting new -STABLE Kernel: Failure To Mount Root ..  even  GENERIC

Do i need to issue /dev/MAKEDEV all ?
Last time i did it during the STABLE3.5 to STABLE4.0 upgrade, i encountered
lots of sleepless nights. And never had to do this for all my other
machines running STABLE.-4.x

Just did a rebuild of world and kernel a few hours ago - problems still persist

Thanks

PS:
On a side note wether to reboot in between make installkernel and make
installworld - I followed this advice is /usr/src/UPDATING almost religiously:

         To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
         4.x-STABLE
         ----------
         make buildworld
         make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
         make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
         reboot  (in single user) [1]
         make installworld
         mergemaster
         reboot

         [1] You can often get away without doing this step as the
         system will be properly updated.  During the running of the
         installworld, however, system components may break and other
         oddities may happen.  Don't do this on systems that aren't
         otherwise quiet as unpredictable results may happen.  If in
         doubt, reboot into single user.  For remote installs, keep
         a separate kernel around and use a serial console if at all
         possible.

At 09:43 PM 11/3/2000 -0800, you wrote:

>Juha Saarinen wrote:
> >
> > The documentation is convoluted, but if I understand it right
> > you do:
> >
> > make buildworld
> > edit the kernel config file
> > make buildkernel
> > make installkernel
> > make installworld
> > mergemaster
> >
> > ... and so forth. Then you reboot. This sequence works for me, but if it
> > isn't correct, I'd like to know.
>
>Warner's instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING have a boot to single user
>mode between the installkernel and the installworld. He also states
>this may not be necessary. I have 3 different FreeBSD machines that
>are running 4-stable and the only thing that doesn't work well, is
>doing all of this from an xterm on the computer being upgraded. KDE
>will sometimes cause hang in perhaps 1 out of 6 or 7 tries. The
>frequency could be less often than that.
>
>I have a shell script that does everything from the cvsup to the
>installworld. It builds a log with a date timestamp for each step. I
>don't run mergemaster from the ssh session. When the script finishes,
>I tail all 4 make log files and if they finished properly, I log off
>and walk down to the console and do the mergemaster and reboot.
>
>Kent
>

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Juha
> >
> > PGP fingerprint:
> > B7E1 CC52 5FCA 9756 B502  10C8 4CD8 B066 12F3 9544
> >
> > On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Feisal Umar wrote:
> >
> > > Juha,
> > >
> > > Perhaps the list is tired of this - but I cant help wondering:
> > >
> > > Isnt  the recommended way is to re-boot with the NEW kernel first, before
> > > building the userland tools ?
> > > Apologies if I trip myself on this

>--
>Kent Stewart
>Richland, WA
>
>mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com
>http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/index.html
>FreeBSD News http://daily.daemonnews.org/

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

Feisal Umar
Webcraft Sdn Bhd - http://www.webcraft99.com

Q: Where can you buy black lace crotchless panties for sheep? A: Fredrick's
of Ithaca, New York.