Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 02:17:51 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape Back Up and Cron?????

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 02:48:23PM -0800, Bernie Johnson wrote:
> I have a small dilema, I have got tostart backing up a
> few directories every night to a DDS3 tape drive.

<snip>
Oh you do not have to synchronise all of this with cron !
Create a shell script to do perform each of the steps
in the required order and have cron start the script
at the required time. The output messages from the job will be
mailed to root (or root's alias) and you can re-direct
any output/errors to a log file as well.

Dealing with the question of whether the resulting output
is too big too fit on the tape is slightly trickier. To
do this you will need to know the capacity available on
the tape and the sizes of the resulting output files, and
do a little calculation - but that can be scripted as well.

I suppose it is not really what you are asking about, but
backing up the whole of /usr, every night seems a bit keen.
99.99% of it probably doesn't change from day to day on
most systems I would guess. Have you (or they) considered
an incremental/differential backup strategy instead ?
All of the tools required for this kind of thing are
available.

Of course it depends on what you're system is used for.
An average bear like me would consider a full-backup of
volatile files systems such as /home and /var to be a good
idea and an incremental backup of the rest.

Btw, whatevr you do don't forget to test that a restore
procedure will work as well ! This is oft-forgot.

--
Regards
Cliff