Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:58:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        david@catwhisker.org, davidc@acns.ab.ca
Cc:        bradym@balestra.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

>Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:45:41 -0700
>From: Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>

>> I am not having any problems with -STABLE that I know of.

>It might be worth a lot :).  It is possible that I and a few others have
>bad hardware, and there is no problem with -stable.  It seems unlikely,
>but it is not at all impossible I guess.

>Are you running any combination of samba/nfs/ata?

ATA, yes -- sole disk in the machine is of that persuasion.  (Well, it's
usually the sole disk.  I soometimes stuff another ATA drive in the
machine, for copying things....)

NFS, yes, but rather light duty.  (When I decide to upgrade one of the
other boxen, I'll mount the build machine's /usr/src & /usr/obj & just
do the "make install{kernel,world}" && mergmaster on the target, rather
than re-building on the slower machine.  I do this once per fortnight.)

Samba -- no.  (Wouldn't know how to determine if it works.)

The machine is fairly seriously underutilized most of the time.

And as noted, I track both -STABLE and -CURRENT daily, so it's not
running the same OS for more than 20 consecutive hours.

Cheers,
david
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.