Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:30:36 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        shih@math.jussieu.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Confuse with proc..

--------------enig4013648E7DD658F8F18E50F6

Albert Shih wrote:

> Where can I find a compatibility matix between those proc and the FreeB=
SD
> release (I don't need 64bits...)

To generalise: if it's an i386 compatible processor, then FreeBSD will wo=
rk
with it in 32 bit mode -- that's any FreeBSD version.  That includes AMD6=
4
chips like the Opteron.

If it has the EMT64 extensions then FreeBSD 5.x or above should run in 64=
bit
mode. If it's an AMD64 processor, then FreeBSD 5.x or above will run in 6=
4bit
mode.

There may be some exceptions to that statement, but they will be quite fe=
and far between,  I've certainly never run into problems like that.

Of course, the kicker tends to be the other devices on the system -- moth=
er
board chipsets are much more likely to result in compatibility problems t=
han
the CPU itself.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK