Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:36:49 -0500
From:      Paul Keusemann <pkeusem@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   boot/loader problem -- currdev is not boot disk

Is there any way to specify the current drive when starting /boot/loader?

I've got a system with one IDE drive and two SCSI controllers, one Adaptec
1542 and one Adaptec 2940.  I'm trying to boot off of the first disk
on the ISA controller which the bios sees first but the boot loader and
kernel see second, i.e.  when the boot loader starts, it thinks currdev
is the first disk on the 2940 which does not have a FreeBSD partition on it.

I can boot manually by setting the current drive after the boot loader is
running.  What I'm looking for is a way to tell the boot loader that the
current drive is disk1s1a.  Adding a line to /boot/loader.rc won't work
because the loader can't even find /boot/loader.rc, I need to set currdev
in order to read /boot/loader.rc.

This is what I've got so far:

	Booteasy on the ide drive (wd0)
	Booteasy on the first drive on the 1542 (sd1)
	1:sd(0,a)/boot/loader in /boot.config on sd1

I can autoboot as far as the disk1s1a prompt from the boot loader.
--
Paul Keusemann			pkeusem@visi.com
4266 Joppa Court		(612) 894-7805