Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:44:29 EST
From:      TM4526@aol.com
To:        thad.butterworth@hp.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: difference between releases

In a message dated 11/8/04 4:46:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,=20
thad.butterworth@hp.com writes:
>By the way, I=E2=80=99ve tested our competitions printers. HP=E2=80=99s pri=
nters are far=20
better >designed than anything else I=E2=80=99ve worked with. The point is p=
rogramming=20
and >computer technologies are very young fields. You=E2=80=99re going to fi=
nd problems=20
>whether it=E2=80=99s closed or open source. Just don=E2=80=99t get bitter a=
bout it. Work=20
instead to >make it better instead of complaining about everything. Like I s=
aid=20
previously, let=E2=80=99s >see some helpful suggestions
Two words: Paper Paths. Feeding has always been an issue. Your post script
sucks wind too. But I digress...

The "technologies" are not in question, its the controls and the methods. An=
d=20
I'm
not sure why you keep harping on open source, because this thread has nothin=
to do with it. BSDi vs FreeBSD is a good example. BSDi had a set of features=
=20
and
objectives, and when they were "done" (ie fully tested) they released it.=20
Personally
I think BSDi took it to extremes by making releases way too comprehensive an=
would have preferred sub-relreases rather than their annoying patch system,=20
but
it illustrates the difference between having a meaningful, documented releas=
e=20
structure rather than just slapping out a snapshot because its "time". At so=
me
point you have to stop working on stuff, hammer out a release, and then star=
working again. It shouldn't just be a moment in time of -current, with all=20
the=20
uncertainty that entails. I'm not saying that's how it works, but when this=20
thread
started, that's how it was depicted.