Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:05:23 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root directory filling up...

Kiffin Gish wrote:

>I recently decided to dump windows and take a much deserved breather with
>FreeBSD. So I installed 5.3 and was in for a real treat!

Great!, I too have finally switched my main workstation (about 1 month
ago) from Win2K to FreeBSD 5.3, at the console I feel at home (was a DOS
guy before windows) but I feel like a fish out of water with
gnome/kde/xfce, Is there anything that emulates the  feel of the Win2K
wiget set (not XP, ick) and Windows Explorer File Manager?, also, I miss
my Winamp 5 (loved the Internet Radio part the of Media Library and I
used Explorers List view to manage my music), XMMS, Rhythmbox, and
Nautilus just don't do it for me.

>However, I created a /-directory with 4G and installed the complete ports
>stuff from the CD. Now my root directory is almost filled up (after I
>installed all the Gnome Desktop stuff).
>
>I always do a make clean. Is there an easier way to only keep the ports
>stuff that is 'really' required?

use "portsclean -CDD" you need to have portupdate installed as this is a
tool of that package, you could also try the -L and -P flags for more
cleaning (read the man page before using these flags).

>I noticed that there are tons of tarballs etc. in the /usr/ports/distfiles
>directory. Is it safe to delete all of these?

Again, "portsclean -CDD with purge all the tarballs that arn't used /
installed but you could delete everthing in there if your really short
on space.