Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:55:17 +1200
From:      "Mark Pagulayan" <m.pagulayan@auckland.ac.nz>
To:        <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PF: See packet errors on external interface

Hi Guys,=20

=20

I was just wondering if you could help me with my problem.=20

=20

Before going to the details here is my setup:

=20

OS: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE i386

Firewall:PF

Interface: em1(external interface) and em0(internal interface)

Setup: The 2 interfaces above are setup as a bridge so we are using PF
as a layer2 FW.=20

Use altq to define queues on em1 and em0 ( default, unlimited,
sponsored, premium, standard)

=20

=20

Doing a netstat -d -I em1. I can see that there incoming packet errors
but no outgoing packet errors. A number of drops but no collision.

=20

Doing a netstat -d -I em0. I can see that there are no errors on the
incoming and outgoing packets. A number of drops but no collision.

=20

Doing a netstat -d -l bridge0. don't see any errors on the incoming and
outgoing packets. No drops and collision.

=20

Looking at my ruleset I can see that I have=20

=20

scrub in on em1=20

=20

Does this rule cause the packet errors?  Or presumably because of the
speed of the network? We are running at around 8000 packet/s for
incoming and outgoing traffic.=20

There was plan of removing this rule? If we do that? What would  the
implications be?=20

=20

Also using the tool pftop, the default queue has packet drops and
suspensions

QUEUE                    BW   SCH       PRIO     PKTS           BYTES
DROP_P   DROP_B QLEN BORROW SUSPEN     P/S     B/S

default                     134M cbq                      1326370
775902K      138        102128        0       0                2798
8182 4340435

=20

Do you think the scrub rule is the causing pf to suspend some packets?
I also wish to understand how pftop works to be able to debug the
problem.=20

=20

The reason that I am asking this questions is that we get connectivity
issues with some external sites that we connect to. It might be the
uplink that has problems but I hope I could gather information on what
might be causing this, or things might be or not related to this issue.=20

=20

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

=20

Thanks