Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:27:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound on netscape

Hi

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> Does anyone know if the FreeBSD version of netscape supports the
> downloadable sound samples that the music sites offer?  For example,
> in windows on cdnow.com, you can click on a song, and a fancy applet
> pops up that DLs the sample and plays it.  Is this a plug-in?  Or a
> windows-only feature?

This depends on the type of file you're trying to download.  I know
cdnow.com uses multiple formats (mp2, real, liquid player, and Windows
media player).  You're screwed if the file you want is a Liquid file -
that's Mac/WindoZe only.  Depending on what they want you to use Windoze
media player for (it can play mpegs), you might be able to get away w/ a
mpeg sound player.

You can use a mpeg sound player to play mp2 (I personally use mpg123 from
the ports collection).  Real you can try to use the Real player from the
ports tree or try rvplayer5 (the Linux version).  I've had mixed success
w/ this....

> Also, .wav files played into /dev/dsp play at half speed.  Can this be
> fixed?

Hmmmm - well that's strange.  Are you just cat'ing the files to
/dev/audio?  I use splay to play wav files (it can also do mpeg audio I
believe, although I don't know if it can do mp3s) - it's in the ports.

If this doesn't work, you could try using sox to change the frequency
rate.  There might be a switch to play at 2x speed as well somewhere - I
know splay has a "half-speed" switch - not what you want I guess though.
:-)

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *