Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:24:39 -0500
From:      bind9 <bind9@citystamp.com>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>, C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>, <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Opinions wanted - dealing with file sharing in AOL IM

on 1/22/02 8:41 PM, chip at chip@wiegand.org wrote:

>> Parenting tips aside, I would suggest setting up a socks 5 server, there's
>> one available in the ports collection.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at the port description, it's a bit vague
> and there is no web site reference. Do you know of any good web sites I could
> learn more about socks? Would it work with ipfw on the same machine?

If your going to open the port, what does it matter how you do it. AOLIM is
going to come at you from a lot of directions from IPs that are transient.
So, if you want it to work correctly, you need to just open up and let it
in.

That being done, you are looking for the occasional abuse. "snort" is an
intrusion detection packet sniffer. With a little reading about the rules
you can immediately get a notification when say a .vbs comes in. You'll see
requests for "default.ida", root.exe,  etc. etc. http:/www.snort.org/.