Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 15:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        murban@webzone.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nt outperforms Linux for web/file server?

You're also missing the fact that NT did kick Apache/Linux' ass in the
test, and would have done so regardless what kernel patches/Apache tweaks
were applied.  Fact is, Apache's not a high performance web server, and
the Linux kernel had severe flaws in its scheduler that caused it to flake
out once a certain number of processes were active.  In fact, even now, I
fully expect IIS to outperform Linux/Apache or *BSD/Apache or */Apache on
static file serving.  I mean, yay Apache, but let's not get so full of
Open Source happy juice that we're blind to reality...

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> You're behind by a few months. When this test first came out (and it was
> NOT done by PC Magazine. It was done my mindcraft, an "independent" lab
> which has given flawed comparisons in the past as well), there was a large
> thread on how this comparison could have been messed up/altered to favor
> NT. If you search the mailing list archives, you could probably find the
> link to the step-by-step dissection of the flaws in the Mindcraft study.
>
> At 04:11 PM 1/3/1997 , Mike Urban wrote:
> >I know this is a FreeBSD list, but this will probably be of interest to
> >people here anyway. Has anyone seen Microsoft's report on the
> >independant study that was done on the performance of NT vs Linux?
> >According to their charts, graphs etc, NT blew Linux away in both file
> >server and web server performance. I bring this up because unless there
> >is a serious performance difference between Linux and FreeBSD, these
> >test results would probably apply to FreeBSD as well..
> >
> >I think the test was done by PC Magazine (hardly independant in my way
> >of thinking since they recieve big advertising $ from Microsoft.). My
>
> >http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/exec/compares/ntlinux.asp
>
> --Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441

---
tani hosokawa