Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:51:37 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/daily, Mail queue, No Control file!

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:

> mail:
> 		Mail Queue (1 request)
> --Q-ID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient------------
> CAA02204* (no control file)
>
> Could someone please tell me how to get rid of this 'no control file'
> message!
> I have searched everywhere for the culprit.
> /var/mqueue is empty!
> Where else is mail info maintianed!
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Enjoy
> Gary
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
> The Borg... Where minds meet
> (207) 929-3848

I have them too, and I guess they are benign. The /etc/daily is run with
its output redirected into sendmail (so you the message you get is simply
the output of the script). I'd bet that if you'll check your
/var/log/maillog files you'll see that the message in question (i.e.
CAA02204) is simply the /etc/daily message itself. It simply starts to get
sent while it is still created. The warning is from the invocation of
mailq as one of the last commands in /etc/daily, and note the asterisk
near the ID of the message indicating that it is locked (since it is
currently being sent).

Nadav