Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:01:05 -0700
From:      Patrick Burm <patb@commlitho.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   natd/ipfw and outgoing restrictions

I have done my best to see if this has been asked/answered before.

If have a vanilla natd/ipfw setup where I'm hiding a lan using
private ip's and using a freebsd server running natd as a gateway
to the net for the lan.

I wish to restrict outgoing traffic to only allow certain hosts
to surf and what not.

my firewall is set to "open" and the rules end up looking like this:

00100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via xl0
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
65000 allow ip from any to any
65535 deny ip from any to any

First quesiton is do I put my restricting rules before the divert?

something like 00050 allow tcp from 192.168.0.10/32 to any 80

I'm thinking if I want to allow "joe" to surf I allow
tcp to port 80 from joe's ip, but his ip is private.

I understand (maybe incorrectly) that nat reinjects the packet
at rule 200 in this example but it is now sourced with the public IP.

Second how do you know what interfaces and directions the rules are bound to?
As it practically set itself up and worked on the first try, I don't know
exactly what is going on.

Is there any examples of setups like I want to do, or a better way to
do it. Is there some other "proxy" daemon that might work better for me?