Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:20:03 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: statistical program for FreeBSD?

--5gxpn/Q6ypwruk0T

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 08:58:43PM -0500, Gary wrote:

> Does anyone know of a statistical program that will run in FreeBSD? I am
> looking for one that will run the Heckman's Phase 2 model, as SPSS will n=
ot
> run it. The only one I know of is SAS, but it is for windows only.. (cost=
s a
> lot of money too, and is prohibitive) <g>
>=20
> thanks for any input..  I know it is a long-shot.

Hmmm... I've done the odd bit of Statistical work in my time, but I've
never heard of "Heckman's Phase 2 model".  Which unfortunately
suggests that you're going to need something rather more sophisticated
than the general run of the mill available in ports.

If you:

    % cd /usr/ports
    % make search key=3Dstatistics

you will get a long list of ports that do something to do with
statistics.  For the most part that's either gathering statistical
data from the operation of some program, or processing that data
usually in a relatively simple manner to produce various graphs and
reports.  However amidst the muck there are one or two glitters of
what might be gems.  There's math/xldlas and math/xlispstat which are
general purpose "statistics" packages.  There are a number of modules
for various programming languages that implement statistical
functions, eg. math/p5-Statistics-Table-F

There are also some symbolic mathematics programs which might serve:
math/jacal and math/maxima

However, probably your best bet is the math/R port, whose pkg-desc is
as follows:

=46rom <http://www.R-project.org/about.html>:

    R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.
    It is a GNU project which is similar to the S language and environment
    which was developed at Bell Laboratories (formerly AT&T, now Lucent
    Technologies) by John Chambers and colleagues. R can be considered as a
    different implementation of S. There are some important differences,
    but much code written for S runs unaltered under R.=20

    R provides a wide variety of statistical (linear and nonlinear modellin=
g,
    classical statistical tests, time-series analysis, classification,
    clustering, ...) and graphical techniques, and is highly extensible.
    The S language is often the vehicle of choice for research in statistic=
al
    methodology, and R provides an Open Source route to participation in th=
at
    activity.=20

    One of R's strengths is the ease with which well-designed
    publication-quality plots can be produced, including mathematical symbo=
ls
    and formulae where needed. Great care has been taken over the defaults =
for
    the minor design choices in graphics, but the user retains full control=
=2E=20

WWW: http://www.R-project.org/

	Cheers,

	Matthew