Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 00:10:46 -0500
From:      Sandro Mancuso <sandro.m@videotron.ca>
To:        "'Defryn, Guy'" <G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ethernet address

The address shown in FreeBSD is not the real one.  I have a SMC card
(dc0) that does the same thing.  I had two actually, and at the time two
dhcp assigned IP's.  You can imagine the headaches this caused when both
had that same MAC address.  I'm guessing its simply cards that aren't
100% compatible or something.  Using static IP assignment (internal and
external IP's) they work perfectly well even at 100mbit full duplex
(according to my router anyway ;-)).  As is the case with you, putting
them on my windows 2000 workstation gave me entirely different MAC
addresses

At any rate, the card is good... (my guess is) it just doesn't like
freebsd as much as the other cards.  I can tell you from experience that
dlinks work well, and of course 3com and intel NICs