Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 00:06:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Harkitrat Singh <harkirat@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with ifconfig

Hi!

 I have a laptop Libretto 100CT (does'nt have any CD-Rom) and I
installed BSd release 4.2 and it was working fine and to power off I was
using # /sbin/shutdown -h now

and after that I manually switch off the power (though I do not know is it
the right way ) after that I reboot the m/c then I got the message that
file system is not clean and then I ran fsck manually and then i found
that I do not know should I say yes or no to all these questions so I left
it in between and then read some FAQ and found that I should run

fsck -y /dev/ad01f (a friend advised me) as I got error with this file
system only and I reboot the machine I did not do any thing after this
command just reboot after the file system clean message.

Now if I do ping it says that can'nt resolve and if I use IP adress then I
get message that route not found.

I am also getting some messages during boot time that some files are
missing. Also on "ifconfig" I do not get ep0 (which I was getting before
the problem) means something with ethernet but I do not know how to fix
it.

Also if I run fsck -p I get message
/dev/ad0s1a: NO WRITE ACCESS
.dev/ad0s1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck manually.

Please telll me that how can i avoid this to happen in the future and
solve it right now. Do I have to reload the BSD.

Happy Holidays!!

Harkirat