Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:21:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        dwcjr@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CUPS support can be unconditional

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Alan Eldridge wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:10:14PM -0500, Alan Eldridge wrote:

> >>I don't understand why your making CUPS mandatory for Samba.  Some users
> >>won't want it period.  They'll want to stick with BSD printing (like for
> >>use with apsfilter).  This will cause unnecessary download and build time.
> >>
> >A user who installs both samba and cups from packages (for example,
> >when installing a new system from CDROM) finds that it won't work?
> >
> >That is a rather gross violation of POLA.
> >

> Case in point:
>
> Building a new file and print server, I would not be likely to install
> development tools. So if I want cups + samba, I have to go to another
> machine with development tools installed, build a new samba, install
> it, make a package, transfer it back to the machine I'm setting up?
> That's pretty harsh just to save someone else the time of downloading
> a 4M package file.

But we do this with a lot of ports in FreeBSD.  Should all the conditional
build knobs we taken out, and all ports built with all options enabled?
This just seems like an overkill for some people.

Now, maybe build with CUPS support iff WITH_CUPS && PACKAGE_BUILDING would
be a good idea.  But I don't think we should make it global for every
build of the port.

Joe