Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:49:36 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        Valentino Vaschetto <logo@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <port> replacement

Valentino Vaschetto wrote:

> I like this idea. The only issue I have with it is the fact that it's
> only a package. Would it be possible to have 2 new roles? A
> package role and a port role?
>
> -val
>
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Dima Dorfman wrote:
>

>>I propose to replace the <port> tag with <filename> and a "role"
>>attribute as follows:

Can I add to Val's thought.  I thought everything was a port, but some
have prebuilt "packages"...  Now if i'm correct on that notion (I don't
think i've ever seen a package with no port other than the yahoo IM, but
that isn't even on the FreeBSD site.  I think the filename tag and a
role attribute is fine, but wouldn't a role="package" role="port"
confuse some people or maybe be a bit overkill?  In a sence, just use
the role="port" or maybe mix both the old method and the new to become
role="net/cvsup" or similar so that it leads to that port, and the
reader will have to choose to download the package or do a make install
in the ports directory  :)

Just a quick opinion, if it matters, I just think that having package
defeats the purpose because then users have 2 options (use the port? or
use the package?)

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.Pittgoth.com Gothic Liberation Front