Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:35:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [OT] Spare mailservers

What is there against the following solution:

We are now adding a second mailserver (20 MX) to our configuration,
which will forward mail to the main mailserver (10 MX) through
mailertable. A third one will be added as soon as we grow as we now
expect. To avoid having to edit all the DNS zones again then, could we
not now do this already:

MX	10 	mail.domain.com.
MX	20	mail2.domain.com.
MX	30	mail3.domain.com.

And put in the domain.com zone:

mail	200.200.200.20
mail2	200.200.200.21
mail3	200.200.200.21

So mail3 is simply another name for mail2 for the time being. (Not
a CNAME record!)

All we would then have to change when mail3 is realized is changing
the one IP number of mail3.