Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:25:28 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011558328.210f81@mired.org>
To:        "alexus" <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup/make

alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com> types:
> is there a way to after i did cvsup stable-cvsupfile to do make just only
> whatever was downloaded from cvsup instead of the whole thing all over
> again?

Not reliably. That's why the documented method is to do the whole
thing all over again.

However, you can build and install the current set of tools with "make
install". That will only rebuild and reinstall things that have
changed - assuming the dependencies are right.  I'm not sure whether
that target updates the same set of objects as the "world" targets, so
you may need to "make install" after you've done an "installworld" to
set things up properly.

Be warned: this builds things with the currently installed tools
instead of the toolset in the source tree. That can cause things to
fail to build, or to fail in unexpected ways after they are
installed. If you have any problems *at all* after updating via "make
install", do a "make world" to build the system with the proper
toolset before bothering to report it.

None of this touches on updating the kernel, but the same kind of
methods - with the same kind of potential problems and warnings - can
be used for it.

	<mike