Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:29:27 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Tracey King <tp-king@dircon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: performing upgrade from 2-Stable to 3.2-Stable

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 11:32:20AM +0000, Tracey King wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you all for your advice, I am chugging along slowly :-), however I
> need more help...
>
> The upgrade seems to have worked and I can reboot the system however, I
> realise I made a mistake of not installing mergemaster prior to this
> upgrade. I am now confronted with the daunting task of doing this file
> comparison manually, I wonder if there is any simple way that I might do
> this. I did start eyeballing the files and realised that I'm not really
> shaw of what I should be looking for and what to do with it when I find
> it! There must be some files that are more important than others right?

mergemaster(8) is part of the base system in 3-STABLE. You should have
it.

> Also although I am able to reboot without problem I run into trouble
> running previously installed packages:
>
> "libc.so.3: minor version -1 older than expected 0, using it anyway
> ld.so failed: bad magic number in /usr/lib/libc.so.3"
>
> I figure this has something to do with aout and elf?

Yeah, I think it does. ELF libraries have no minor version, and ld.so
is the aout linker.

Move aout libs that might still be in /usr/lib, /usr/lib/compat,
/usr/X11R6/lib, and /usr/local/lib to the aout/ subdirectories in
each. Then reconstruct the aout hints file,

  # ldconfig -aout /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout /usr/X11R6/lib/aout /usr/local/lib/aout

That hopefully should do it.