Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:24:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Olaf Zaplinski <oz@mediascape.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/32913: still no support for Intel "eepro100" NICs

>Number:         32913
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       still no support for Intel "eepro100" NICs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
- tried FreeBSD 4.4 and had to learn that both my several years old Intel Pro/100B and also my newer Pro/100+ do not work, fxp0 says "could not map [address|register]" (don't remember the exact phrase). Same as with 4.0 (this was the last time I wanted to try BSD). Both cards work fine under Win9x/2K + Linux 2.4.x
- Machine A (older card) has Intel LX chipset
- Machine B (newer card, BSD test install) has Via 694X/694Z chipset
- swapping cards between machines and reinstall on B did not help

Info for the older card (Linux):

00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation EtherExpress PRO/100B (TX)
        Memory at fecfe000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
        I/O ports at f800 [size=32]
        Memory at fed00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=1M]

>How-To-Repeat:
Just buy that Intel NIC and try to ping your default gw ;-)
>Fix:
install Linux? ;-) (SCNR)
I would like to test BSD/compare with Linux, but I only have Intel NICs both at home and at work