Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:30:40 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ncr problems (and amd)

Gérard Roudier scribbled this message on Nov 26:
> Some VIA based chipset motherboards can mess-up a lot with your controller
> when some feature is enabled on the chipset.
>
> I donnot remember exactly the feature that makes problems (DMA problems),
> but it should have something to do with `cache streaming' or `PCI
> streaming'.
>
> Could you look into your mother-board set-up if a feature that resembles
> `<something> streaming' is enabled and then disable it.

there is a burst option I believe.. and I'll try to do that the next
time it crashes...  right now the machine doesn't even have a video
card in it..  so, when I put in the shorter cable, I'll do this config
change at the same time...

but I don't think it's a PCI bus issue, as it looks like the ncr driver
tries to retry, but the ncr is completely out to lunch and needs to be
reset..  is there a way for it to detect excessive timeouts (like no
command completed and all commands have timedout twice), and reinitalize
the card?

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 408 975 9651
  Cu Networking