Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:10:14 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        Alex Chuang <alex@mail.a3j.com.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The sendmail cannot work!!

On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 at 15:57:34 +0800, Alex Chuang wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD server, I use sendmail 8.8.8.  There are some
> services on my server (like DNS,FTP,WWW,and mail).  I change the
> server IP and DNS content last week,(because we change the ISP) then
> sendmail cannot work,there are some error messages like this :
> sendmail[968]:PAA00966 :SYSERR(root):mail.a3j.com.tw. config error:
> mail looks back to me(MX problem?)
> Please help me!!

From the Sendmail FAQ.. http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.5

   I'm getting these error messages:

	553 MX list for domain.net points back to relay.domain.net
	554 <user@domain.net>... Local configuration error

   How can I solve this problem?

   You have asked mail to the domain (e.g., domain.net) to be
   forwarded to a specific host (in this case, relay.domain.net) by
   using an MX record, but the relay machine doesn't recognize itself
   as domain.net. Add domain.net to /etc/sendmail.cw (if you are using
   FEATURE(use_cw_file)) or add "Cw domain.net" to your configuration
   file.

  IMPORTANT: When making changes to your configuration file, be sure
  you kill and restart the sendmail daemon (for ANY change in the
  configuration, not just this one):

	kill `head -1 /etc/sendmail.pid`
	sh -c "`tail -1 /etc/sendmail.pid`"

Later,