Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:24:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hyperthreading and machdep.cpu_idle_hlt

:So, at the request of bmilekic, I ran netpipe on a hyperthreading box (non
:hyperthreading, I'll do when I can turn it off in BIOS next time I'm down
:there)
:...
:
:The results are here:
:
:http://bsdunix.net/performance
:
:all information on what command line options I used is in there.
:
:the difference with it on is pretty substantial, might be worth noting in
:tuning(7)
:
:-Trish
:
:--
:Trish Lynch					   trish@bsdunix.net

    Those results are indeed quite substantial.  Before you modify
    tuning(7), though, lets wait a bit to see if anyone comes up with a
    fix to the performance issue when idle_hlt is turned off.  In particular
    I would like to try using a per-cpu global test in the idle loop that
    avoids doing any locked bus cycles.

    Unfortunately I am not sure if I have any hyperthreading capable boxes.
    My primary machine is a pentium 4 but it is running -stable.

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 1296069572 Hz
CPU: Pentium 4 (1296.07-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf07  Stepping = 7
  Features=0x3febf9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,P
AT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,<b28>,ACC>

    It has HTT set but it's only a 1.2GHz box and I heard somewhere that only
    2+ GHz P4's had hyperthreading.  I noticed some MFCs to stable that
    suggested hyperthreading support but I do not know if full hyperthreading
    support has been MFCd yet or is intended to be MFCd to -stable.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>