Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:44:18 -0000 (GMT)
From:      David Marsh <drmarsh@bigfoot.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   leafnode has died on me, can anybody help?

For some reason unknown to me, leafnode [my local news-server] has
unexpectedly died on me. :-(

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7, leafnode 1.4.

Whenever I now try to run trn to read news, I get the following error on the
commandline:

Unexpected close of server socket.

(And similar when trying to use Netscape's newsreader, so I'm fairly sure
it's not a newsreader problem),

..and the following error in my console window:

Nov 15 23:55:29 trek /kernel: pid 413 (leafnode), uid 8: exited on signal 11

Trying to run the leafnode program itself (as root) results in
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

:-(

I've tried to reinstall/recompile the leafnode port from the distribution
CDs, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.. :-(

Does anybody know what's gone wrong, and how I can dig myself out of this?

The only thing I can think of that may have caused this is that I've been
quite (ie very) short of disk space for the past few days, and occasionally
during news downloads from my ISP, I've had 'disk full' warnings until I've
junked some unnecessary files. (Time to install that hard disk from my old
computer, methinks..)

If anybody can offer me any advice, could you please reply direct to myself
rather than FreeBSD-questions, as I'm no longer on the mailing list as I
can't keep up with the volume of traffic, sorry..

Cheers,

Dave.

---
David Marsh,drmarsh@bigfoot.com     | http://www.doko.freeserve.co.uk/ |
Glasgow/Glaschu, Scotland.         *If urgent, phone: +44 141 400-0577*|