Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:48:16 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Rick Tait <rickt@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 on Dell Inspiron 7000 with 3Com 3CCFE575?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 06:43:00PM -0500, Rick Tait wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently running Slackware 7.0 on my Dell Inspiron 7000, and I've
> reached the end of my tether with Lin[s]ux. I need to switch to my
> beloved FBSD...

I run FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT on my Dell Inspiron 7000, too.

> However, I've been out of the BSD scene for about 3 years, and am not
> familiar with the current state of laptop support, especially in the
> most recent versions of FBSD.
>
> My needs are simple, I don't need APM or any other of the fancy
> laptop-specific stuff. This is what I want/need to work:
>
>    - 1024x768x16 on the 15" LCD display
>    - 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus 10/100 PCMCIA NIC

Unfortunately, we don't have CardBus support yet. However, I'm sure that
3Com will be glad to trade your 3CCFE575 for the 3CCFE574BT, which I have,
and which gets to about 1.1MB/sec under the latest -CURRENT on a
half-duplex 100BaseTX network. You _MIGHT_ be able to get it to work under
3.4-RELEASE, but I tested with 3.3-RELEASE and it didn't work.

Or, if you are willing, you could wait until there is CardBus support. I
believe the 3Com driver will be one of the first supported using CardBus.
You'll have to wait until at least 4.1-RELEASE or so before a -RELEASE will
support it, however.. and I'm being a little optimistic, I think.

You don't need PAO for this particular card - don't mess with PAO anyway,
it's a pain, especially if you want to keep in sync with -STABLE (and you
will, believe me :-).

> That's pretty much it. I've looked through the freebsd-mobile archives,
> and I read that in April someone was asking about the same card, and the
> consensus was that there is no current support. What about now?
>
> Please, folks - I'm desperate to switch back! I've got my FBSD CDROM at
> the ready, I've backed up all my data. I'm poised, ready to install as
> soon as someone tells me I can make this work!
>
> What's the bottom line?

As I said just above, trade your card in or wait a month or two (it might
be longer).

Or, of course, you could work with the CardBus group, but I doubt you have
the necessary expertise to be much help. :\

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>