Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 03:43:37 -0800
From:      "Daxbert" <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
To:        "Bjarne Wichmann Petersen" <kde.nospam@mekanix.dk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Resolving or blocking eg. doubleclick.net?

> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 11:17, Daxbert wrote:
>
> > One option... cheat
> >
> > Make your dns server authoritative
> > for doubleclick.net, and have no entries
> > (or optionally your own web server as an * entry)
> > in the zone file.
>
> So, would that mean I should create an entry in named.conf like:
>
> zone "doubleclick.net" {
> type master;
> file "doubleclick.net";
> };
>
> and then don't have a doubleclick.net ... or should I create an empty file?
> ... or?
>
> > named stores it's cache in memory. You can get a dump
> > of the current cache.. don't remember the exact syntax
> > but it's in the man page.
>
> Hmm, so every time I reboot I loose my cache? But still, if I visit eg.
> <http://www.politiken.dk>; and wait untill it's loaded (ie. finished resolving
> doubleclick.net) and then hit reload it ought to go a lot quicker. But it
> doesn't, takes just as long. :-/
>
> Bjarne

I do this in named.conf...

zone "atdmt.com" {
        type master;
        file "db.empty_zone";
};

zone "doubleclick.net" {
        type master;
        file "db.empty_zone";
};

then, I have a single file called db.emtpy_zone

$TTL 36000
@               IN SOA  my.dns.server. email.address.i.use.in.zones. (
                                1 ; serial
                                36000      ; refresh
                                18000      ; retry
                                1209600    ; expire
                                36000      ; minimum
                                )
                        NS      my.dns.server.
*                       A       1.1.1.1 ;

NOTE: The  1.1.1.1 A record is optional.
If you use this, you should point it to your
own web server.