Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:39:14 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Ragnar Beer <rbeer@uni-goettingen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LaTeX on FreeBSD

> I only used LaTeX on my Mac so far and need some advice which ports I
> need to install to get a usable LaTeX2e system.

Install teTeX.  It's in /usr/ports/print, if you use the ports system.

> It would be great to have a german line separation algorithm and pdf
> output with embedded postscript fonts.

German hyphenation patterns are included with teTeX.  `pdftex' is
included for direct PDF output.  More generally, you can do
DVI->PostScript conversion with the `dvips' packaged with teTeX, then
do PostScript->PDF conversion with the ps2pdf utility that comes with
GhostScript.  (Note that if you use GhostScript 5.x instead of 6.x, it
will mangle any scalable fonts and produce all but unreadable files.)

Lucas