Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:50:05 -0500
From:      "Armando Gueco" <agueco@designdata.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: hardware compatible/supported?

Realizing that I probably didn't supply enough hardware info:

ProLiant 6500, 1 Pentium Pro 200 CPU, 1 meg cache
No array controller, standard on-board UW-SCSI controller
Standard Compaq NetFlex NIC
Compaq 9.1 UW-SCSI HDs
IDE CDROM
In your opinion, would installing RedHat (somewhat broader list of =
compatible/supported hardware, no offense) on what's going to be a =
web/mail server save me a significant amount of time?

>>> <joeo@cracktown.com> 01/13/00 12:09 PM >>>
I've had the 3.x series running on one of these boxes (with smp enabled). =
=20
Problems/issues enocounterd...

The smartraid controller is not supported by the boot disks, the "ida"
driver does support it.

SmartStart needs to be used to make sure that a full APIC table is set =
up.2
Also set it up for SCO Unix V 8or SYSV.

The pci bridge chips should be supported. =20

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Armando Gueco wrote:

> Please tell me that FreeBSD installs (with no major problems) to a =
Compaq ProLiant 6500.  Please mean it.  :)