Date:      Tue, 20 May 2008 16:00:41 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gjournal misconfiguration

Andrei Kolu wrote:

> I created geom journal according to this documentation:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/geom-gjournal.html
>
> I already had partition on second drive (da1s1d)
>
> # gjournal label -f /dev/da1s1d
> # gjournal load
> # newfs -O 2 -J /dev/da1s1d.journal
> # mount /dev/da1s1d.journal /data
>
> everything worked fine until I rebooted with this fstab:
> # geom_journaling
> /dev/da1s1d.journal     /data           ufs     rw              3       3
>
> FreeBSD failed to boot- because it said there is no such a filesystem....bah.
>
> then I looked at /dev/da* and found this:
>
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 105 May 20 13:52 /dev/da1s1.journal
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 106 May 20 13:52 /dev/da1s1.journalc
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 107 May 20 16:52 /dev/da1s1.journald
>
> Changed /etc/fstab:
> # geom_journaling
> /dev/da1s1.journald     /data           ufs     rw              3       3
>
> Now everything works fine except this error message:
>
> GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 2508477697: da1s1 contains data.
> GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 2508477697: da1s1 contains journal.
> GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal da1s1 clean.
> WARNING: Expected rawoffset 0, found 63

I think I saw this behaviour if slice contains previously created
partitions with 0 offset. (bsdlabel /dev/da1s1 will show you).

Try create it again, but do bsdlabel -e before journaling, set all
offsets to * (asterisk) and save new label. (remember you will lose you
data! so do backup before)

Miroslav Lachman