Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:25:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk (Soren Schmidt)
Cc:        i.think@harrisburgacademy.org (i think), npp@swamp.dk (Nicolai Petri), multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVD Support!!!

Soren Schmidt wrote...
> It seems i think wrote:
> > there was a recent mention of DVD in freebsd-current mailing list. basically
> > having to do w/ the authentication of DVD drives.
>
> Well, the ata driver findes and probes DVD drives just fine, you can use
> them as well, but there is no UDF filesystem in FreeBSD (yet), and there
> is no special ioctl's for dealing with DVD specific things..

Likewise, the SCSI CD driver can deal with read-only DVDs just fine.
Dealing with rewriteable DVD's is a little different, and requires write
support in the CD driver.  (It has been done, but needs a little more
thought/time before it goes in the tree.)

> As the author & maintainer of the ata driver I have some interest in
> this, and will follow things on the side, eventually bringing in
> support as needed..

Whatever we do, we should try to make sure we have a common set of ioctls
between the ATAPI and SCSI CD drivers.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry