Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 01:28:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        bruce@zuhause.mn.org (Bruce Albrecht)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AIC7895 termination issue

Bruce Albrecht wrote...
> I've got a Gigabyte 6BXDS running dual Celerons (immaterial, I believe),
> that FreeBSD complains about my SCSI termination.  It's got one Ultra SCSI
> connector (8 bit, 50 pin) for port A, which is connected to a CDROM with
> termination enabled, and a Ultra SCSI2 connector (16 bit, 68 pin) for port
> A which has nothing connected to it, and a Ultra SCSI2 connecter (16 bit,
> 68 pin) for port B to which I have an IBM Ultrastar LVD drive with a LVD/SE
> terminator on the end of the cable.  No matter what termination settings I
> use in the BIOS, FreeBSD always tells me that port A is incorrectly
> terminated.  The current BIOS termination settings are for termination on
> for port A, and port B enabled, which seems to be what the manual
> recommends if I only had 8 bit or only had 16 bit SCSI on port A.
>
> Do I need to move the Ultra SCSI2 cable from port B to port A, and set up
> the termination to high byte only to match the example in for internal 8 +
> 16 bit devices?  Just how independent are the two ports, anyway?

Well, from looking at the terminology in the manual for that board, I'd
say you should set the termination like this:

Port A:  Both (i.e., high on, low on)
Port B:  enabled (i.e. high on, low on)

If that's what you have turned on now, and it's giving you trouble, I
suppose you could try putting the disk on port A and just enabling high
byte termination.  It could indicate a driver problem of some sort, though.

If you are using the settings above, and FreeBSD is complaining, you should
probably talk to Justin Gibbs <gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG>.  If there is a problem
with the driver, he'll want to hear about it.

The two ports on a 7895 are completely independent.  It appears to the OS
as two separate SCSI adapters.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry