Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 22:45:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dusk Auriel Sykotik <syko@sykotik.org>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in less than 4MB RAM

I once successfully ran FreeBSD on a 486 33 with 8 megs of ram.
(Box is still running in fact, no hdd space left, runs somewhat nicely.
Its running 2.2.6-RELEASE now.)

/*
 *   Matt Harris                   +++   Syko
 *   BPSOFH, BIOFH, C, SQL, PERL   +++   http://starix.technonet.net/~syko/
 *   FreeBSD SysAdmin              +++   apocalypse.sykotik.org
 *   IRC Cabalnet                  +++   irc.sykotik.org
 */

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is slightly more general question than in the Subject.
>
> First issue is: what would it take to squeeze any useful combination of
> kernel, init plus two-three (small) user programs in 4MB? Which

You don't want to run any inetd processes?  As well as other such things
which use memory.

> (dispensable) parts of the kernel require so much space? After removing
> all I could think of (leaving FFS, fd0, and ed0, though) the kernel size
> is still about 700kB big, and quite another question is how this
> translates into running size...

The afforementioned box has been (although rarely) at 0.00 sysloads.  :)
Of course thats 8 megs.  But hell, if you have a box sitting around with 4
megs of ram, either upgrade it, or if you can't, just try to run FreeBSD.
If it doesn't work, what have you lost?  If you wanna count on this as an
internet server, well... good luck ;)