Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:45:45 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail and named

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 11:09:17PM -0700, David Daugherty wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 10:13:27PM -0700, David Daugherty wrote:

[snip]

> > > Jun 21 22:02:39 truman sendmail[20279]: WAA20279: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<user@Cxxxxxxx-A.frndl1.wa.home.com>, relay=sloth.wcug.wwu.edu
> > > [140.160.164.200], reject=550 <user@Cxxxxxxx-A.frndl1.wa.home.com>... Relaying denied
> > > Jun 21 22:02:39 truman sendmail[20279]: WAA20279: from=<doc@wcug.wwu.edu>, size=0, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP, relay=sloth.wcug.wwu.edu [140.160.164.200]
> > >
> > > I haven't taken a gander at configuring sendmail yet because I completely
> > > screwed it up on my last 3.4 install. I'm now running 4.0-stable and would
> > > like to get this one right.
> > Your machine, for whatever reason, is not accepting mail for
> > Cxxxxxxx-A.frndl1.wa.home.com. It thinks it needs to be relayed.
> Ok, I haven't messed with /etc/sendmail.cf yet. It doesn't even exist on
> my system. Is this the reason why it wants to relay?

It's in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.

> > > I messed up the sendmail stuff by trying to configure named to run on the
> > > box so I could get email at the alias domain also <mydomainalias.dhs.org>.
> > > Do I have to run named to accomplish this? Are there any good tutorials
> > > out there for setting up named? My last attempt was reading through man
> > > named and man sendmail.
> > Alias domain? What are you trying to do?
> The lame domain given to me by @home is the Cxxxxxxx-A.frndl1.wa.home.com.
> Where the x's represent my account. So, I went to dhs.org and registered a
> domain name <mydomain>.dhs.org where <mydomain> is my account. It used to
> be when I had 3.4 installed that I could only recieve email at
> <username>@Cxxxxxxx-A.frndl1.wa.home.com. If I tried to send it to the
> alias domain name I created, <username>@<mydomain>.dhs.org it would
> bounce. They both share the same IP but the DNS 1 hop up from me probably
> couldn't resolve it. So, I tried to set up my own named and screwed
> everything up.

Yeah, sounds like it would. Don't like your <user>@home.com name? If
you are using the default sendmail.cf, I believe all you need to do is
put the domains in sendmail.cw,

  $ cat /etc/mail/sendmail.cw
  Cxxxxxxx-A.frndl1.wa.home.com
  <yourdomain>.dhs.org

That is, provided you've got your MX record properly set for your DNS
record.