Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:01:07 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: cd0 errors during probe?

In message <20031012220230.GA20939@panzer.kdm.org>, "Kenneth D. Merry" writes:

>Back when the cd(4) driver used the old slice code, it had a function,
>cdfirsttrackisdata(), that figured out whether the first track was an audio
>or data track.  It would set the flags in the disk structure accordingly to
>tell the slice code whether or not to attempt to read a disklabel from the
>CD.
>
>The code in -stable still works that way.
>
>My guess is that we need something similar again to tell GEOM not to
>attempt to read the first sector of the CD when it's not a data CD.

Or do what the atapi-cd code does:  indicate the true sector size
(2352 bytes) and use whatever "read audio" command is appropriate
for that situation.

I'm somewhat [1] unhappy that the atapi-cd and the scsi_cd present
multitrack CD's in two different ways, and from a POLA [2] perspective
I must say that the /dev/acd%dt%02d devices do make a lot of sense.

Poul-Henning

[1] Not "terribly" because I seldomly use it myself, but the
inconsistency still bothers me.

[2] Your POLA may vary.