Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:55:21 -0500
From:      "Charles Cosby" <charles@charlesandjudy.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mounting RAID after kernel recompile problems

Hello,
I have a few ProLiant 3000 and 6000 machines I want to get running on
FreeBSD 4.7. I have installed and got it running with little effort on every
machine. My problem is when I try and compile a custom kernel. Even when I
compile the GENERIC kernel with no changed, it goes as far as trying to
mount / and hangs.

Mounting Root From UFS: /dev/idad0s1a

Is there something I am missing from the GENERIC kernel configuration file?
It seems like when I load the new kernel, it creates /dev/idad0s1 slice but
no partitions under it (ie: /dev/idads01a)

These machines all have Compaq SMART RAID controllers and multiple CPU's.
The reason I want to compile a new kernel is only to enable SMP support.  As
long as I dont try that, these machines hum along like a good thing.  I
fought with different linux distros over the years and must say, other than
this little glitch, FreeBSD is the best thing going.  Keep up the great
work.

The first machines specs are as follows:
ProLiant 6000 with 4 - PII 400 Xeon processors
2.7 gig of ram
First RAID on Smart 2DH with 2 - 9.1 gig drives mirrored - 9 gig slice
(/dev/idad0s1)
Second RAID on SMART 2/P with 5 - 9.1 Gig drives striped with offline
spare - 27 Gig slice( /dev/idad1s1)

/dev/idad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/idad0s1g on /root (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/idad0s1f on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/idad1s1e on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/idad0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

/dev/idad0s1b and /dev/idad1s1b are both swap partitions

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charles