Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:08:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thede Loder <tlod@leverage.com>
To:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@fcc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proc disappeared, w, uptime, who malfunctioning

> > Though /proc is mounted, I've not yet rebooted.  w, who, and uptime
> > all still produce garbage.  I'll reboot and if I'm still having the
> > problem, I'll drop you a line...
>
> w, who, and uptime read /dev/kmem, not /proc (AFAIK). The symptoms you
> describe come up frequently from people who are running a newer kernel
> than the said utilities, or vice versa. Have you upgraded your kernel
> without first upgrading your world?

The system is back up and the utilities are now all functioning properly.

When I upgraded (2.2.6 -> 2.2.7),
I did a "make world" for a 2.2.7-RELEASE /usr/src while running the 2.2.6
kernel.  Once all the binaries had been rebuilt, I built the kernel.
Should I do another make world, this time with the 2.2.7 kernel active?

Thede