Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 08:31:13 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>, stable@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird rodent behaviour

--------
Your message dated: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:18:06 +0900

>It IS detected correctly :-)  As far as the mouse firmware is
>concerned, Logitech Marble FX uses the PS/2++ protocol which is the
>Logitech's proprietary protocol since MouseMan+/FirstMouse+.  Marble
>FX and MouseMan+ are software compatible and the mouse driver does not
>need to distinguish the two.

OK, it was just that it /used/ to report it as a MouseMan+.. :-)

>I would like to see your mouse settings in /etc/rc.conf and XF86Config.
>I also would like you to give "boot -v" at the boot loader prompt and
>send me /var/run/dmesg.boot after the system is started. (Do not use
>a KVM when you do this please.)

OK, I'll do this tonight.

>If you add "-3" option for moused (in moused_flags in /etc/rc.conf),
>you may need to tweak the 3-button emulation timeout in the "-E" option
>as well.  But, as Marble FX does have the middle button, you shouldn't
>need to use the "-3" option in the first place.  Are you absolutely sure
>that the middle button suddenly became inoperable?

I'm afraid so.

I already had the '-3' option for moused (because of the behaviour I described
with the Xterm menu), but I found it much more convenient to use the middle
button for pasting.

The button events that are missed are more likely to be a 1st (i.e. left)
button events than anything else.

>>Even more recently (last w/e), I added a Linksys 4 port KVM switch, and took
>>the M$ mouse off another machine and plugged it into the KVM.
>>
>>I now notice that:
>>
>>* The KVM switch seems to prevent the mouse being detected correctly, psm "se
>>s"
>>  only a generic PS/2 mouse on both machines - dmesg says:
>>
>>   psm0: failed to get data.
>>   psm0 irq 12 on isa
>>   psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
>
>I don't know which M$ mouse model you are using.  But, if it is a
>2-button model, without a wheel, the above message is correct.  The
>2-button MS mouse is very "generic" :-)

Gack, the horror...

I described the above inaccurately. I took a cheesy two button M$ mouse off the
other machine (and threw it into a box), and the "it" in my description refers
to plugging the Marble FX into the KVM (and thus into both machines, one
3.4-STABLE, the other 4.0-STABLE).

Now they both report a "generic" mouse on boot-up (probably due to the KVM),
but the middle button works for paste on the 3.4-STABLE machine, whereas I
still have to chord to paste on the 4.0-STABLE machine.

They both have '-3' as an argument to moused, and they both have '/dev/sysmouse'
as the mouse device in XF86Config.

Sorry for not wording that better.

>The psm driver cannot distinguish every single mouse model on the
>market.  There are too many of them.  It only detects and
>distinguishes as many models and protocols as it needs to know to
>operate the mouse correctly.

Understand entirely :-)

>If this MS mouse is IntelliMouse (it has a wheel), then your KVM is
>not compatible with IntelliMouse and the psm driver cannot do anything
>about it ;-<

Yes, I appreciate that. However, it's the Logitech mouse I'm using with the KVM,
and it works fine with one machine running 3.4-STABLE and not the machine
running 4.0-STABLE. The moused and X configs are identical, and the machine
running 4.0 worked fine when it ran 3.x..

Cheers,

AS