Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:56:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@lucy.bedford.net>
To:        eric_floerchinger@albertsons.com
Cc:        djv@bedford.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions

eric_floerchinger@albertsons.com wrote

> 	>The manufacturers often are clueless or hostile. The answer you
> 	>will get from some is 'We don't support Unix'. Some have told
> 	>me (Toshiba, Inc) that running Unix voids their warranty. Not
> so.
> 	>We cleared that up... it voids their warranty for NT, which was
> 	>what was installed by the Mfg. No problem with that.
>
> I'd like to note that if you install FreeBSD (or any other operating
> system including NT) on an HP Pavillion computer, their technical
> support will not help you even on a hardware-related issue until you run
> their "restore disc" and put the software back EXACTLY the way it was
> when it came out of the box.  (I don't think I'd like to attempt running
> *NIX on an HP Pavillion anyways, they have a /bunch/ of
> proprietary/uncommon hardware in them)

Thanks for the heads-up on this.  I wonder how many other manufacturers
are like this? I usually buy components rather than integrated systems,
so hadn't run into this problem, but got a good price on complete
systems.

> 	>For "binaries", i.e. pre-compiled software, there may be an
> explicit
> 	>freebsd version. If not, the linux version may execute, using
> the
> 	>linux-emulation capabilities of FreeBSD.  NetBSD and OpenBSD
> binaries
> 	>can, I believe, also, /in general/ be run, but I don't know
> about this.
>
> I've also had good luck running BSDI binaries.  My college (Treasure
> Valley Community College) is running an HTTP proxy using the "Webtrack"
> software.  We are running a FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE box, and using the BSDI
> binary of the proxy software.

Dave
--
      The freedom to decide who you are and what you drink.
             There's nothing more American than that.